ship gravity

Post here all of your ideas, concept and suggestions which aren't strictly related to the game's development and implementation!

Re: ship gravity

Postby Talvi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:08 am

I know it's possible to write - I just meant it would be hard to write it so that it would be playable. If you've ever heard of a game called Toribash, it's a pretty good example of a game where players control their ingame counterparts limb-by-limb, and advanced players are capable of pulling some pretty impressive stunts. however, the game takes a long time to master, and is, despite a turn-by-turn system, very skill-based. navigating your ship would become the focus of the game.

As to inertial dampeners - I'm very against this, but it's purely a personal thing. Space is large enough that you can coast along at 1000 kph for just about forever and never really get anywhere, so idling wouldn't really be a problem. The personal thing is that I love the visual representation of objects tumbling past each other, weightless, in space. There's just a sort of appeal to it. You can't have that if your ship grinds to a halt when you take your hand off the controls. HOWEVER... If "inertial dampeners" was simply a thruster setting to bring the speed of your ship to a relative zero... and you could enable/disable it at will, that would make sense. From a gameplay perspective, I think it would be useful to have your ship coasting towards its destination while you programmed scripts into your dcpu. That might make walking around your ship a little more worthwhile, too.
Talvi

Postby Pseudonym » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:32 am

What I mean by "inertial dampeners" is that your ship can accelerate up to as fast as you need to go without you becoming up a squishy mess on the back wall of the bridge. The same goes for deceleration and turning. It's not about how the ship behaves, but about how things inside the ship behave when the ship moves.
Pseudonym

Postby mrout » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:18 am

Remember that we've got FTL drives. We don't need to accelerate at high speeds to move around. In fact, we don't need to actually move relative to the space we're in at all. The space warps around us.
mrout

Postby Talvi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:49 am

+1 to what mrout said - I love it when things solve themselves. And sorry, Pseudonym, I didn't quite understand what you meant - I thought you meant something that would gradually slow the ship down for no apparent reason, which seems to be a popular concept in space games for some reason (and one that slightly peeves me). Inertial dampeners would be extremely necessary if it was a thrust-based ship, yes.
Talvi

Postby mrout » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:53 am

After reading through the thread for a second time, I wouldn't say no to a second big lie: artificial gravity. We could even pretend it's created using the same technology we use to produce the exotic particles required for the negative energy densities we use in our Alcubierre drives, though we have to be careful how much we attribute to one bit of tech. It has the potential to turn into Magicium. I think saying we can produce alcubierons (I just made that name up, and I love it) and gravitons from the save device is on the right side of that line, though.
mrout

Postby Eximius » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:15 pm

mrout wrote:Remember that we've got FTL drives. We don't need to accelerate at high speeds to move around. In fact, we don't need to actually move relative to the space we're in at all. The space warps around us.

I absolutely agree. What about moving at any non-trivial acceleration without an FTL drive? (sublight, etc)

mrout wrote:After reading through the thread for a second time, I wouldn't say no to a second big lie: artificial gravity. We could even pretend it's created using the same technology we use to produce the exotic particles required for the negative energy densities we use in our Alcubierre drives, though we have to be careful how much we attribute to one bit of tech. It has the potential to turn into Magicium. I think saying we can produce alcubierons (I just made that name up, and I love it) and gravitons from the save device is on the right side of that line, though.

I love this idea. I would like to add that I still think they should be two separate devices, same tech. But great idea still.
Eximius

Postby ConnorY71 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:43 pm

Inertial dampeners as presented in a lot of sci-fi shows (all of the ones I can think of, actually) are a joke. The occupants of the ship are fine when the craft accelerates rapidly but as soon as they get hit by something they fall on the nearest terminal. What, so inertial dampeners are selective in terms of the protection they offer? I'm not putting down the idea but if they are included they have to be done right. Either have the crew feel no effects of the ship moving or have no inertial dampeners. I'd like to see them as an option in ships. Whether a ship has one or not gives it a different feel and different characteristics.
ConnorY71

Postby Zardoz » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:49 pm

mrout wrote:Remember that we've got FTL drives. We don't need to accelerate at high speeds to move around. In fact, we don't need to actually move relative to the space we're in at all. The space warps around us.

High acceleration not means high speed. Accelerate from 0 to 90 m/s (around 320 Km/h) in a single second, and you will black out. Also, without inertial dampeners, a direct hit in the hull, and you will be flying around the bridge.
Yep, I have a blog : http://zardoz.es
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Postby Zardoz » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:59 pm

ConnorY71 wrote:Inertial dampeners as presented in a lot of sci-fi shows (all of the ones I can think of, actually) are a joke. The occupants of the ship are fine when the craft accelerates rapidly but as soon as they get hit by something they fall on the nearest terminal. What, so inertial dampeners are selective in terms of the protection they offer? I'm not putting down the idea but if they are included they have to be done right. Either have the crew feel no effects of the ship moving or have no inertial dampeners. I'd like to see them as an option in ships. Whether a ship has one or not gives it a different feel and different characteristics.

The lore explication is that the dampener can't compensate very well too quick random accelerations like a direct hit in the hull or a explosion. Always will be a delay between the device detect the acceleration, and try to compensate it.
Yep, I have a blog : http://zardoz.es
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Postby ConnorY71 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:16 pm

Zardoz wrote:The lore explication is that the dampener can't compensate very well too quick random accelerations like a direct hit in the hull or a explosion. Always will be a delay between the device detect the acceleration, and try to compensate it.

That would explain why it operates fine when the ship accelerates due to its engines, as it "knows" what the engines are going to do. Any ideas how the actual device works though? We can't just come up with any old sci-fi crap to explain it.

Edit: I found something useful: "Inertia negation is used to counter the effects of sudden acceleration that would impart structural stresses on star ships when suddenly accelerating to or decelerating with the impulse drive, and which would cause passengers to be thrown against walls and crushed by the inertial effects of the vehicle suddenly accelerating or slowing.
Such a device does not need to negate or alter inertia – a similar effect can be achieved by creating a gravitational field opposing the acceleration of the vessel." (from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertial_dampening_system). If our ships have gravity generators, maybe they can have two. One for gravity, of course, and one that only gets turned on when the ship is accelerating. It would be placed at the very front of the ship. I guess there could be more of these positioned around the ship to balance sideways and up/down movements and, with upgraded sensors perhaps, counteract unforseen movements as well.
ConnorY71

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas, Concept & Suggestions