ship gravity

Post here all of your ideas, concept and suggestions which aren't strictly related to the game's development and implementation!

Re: ship gravity

Postby Zardoz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:40 am

Actually I was thinking in the line of gravity gradient planes in the floor, like in Star Trek lore. Itcan generate gravitational forces in a short range (from the floor to the ceil) and the direction of this force can be changed on the fly to work as inertial dampener.

http://youtu.be/CK7NZ9IDtTc?t=1m
Yep, I have a blog : http://zardoz.es
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Postby ConnorY71 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:51 pm

Zardoz wrote:Actually I was thinking in the line of gravity gradient planes in the floor, like in Star Trek lore. Itcan generate gravitational forces in a short range (from the floor to the ceil) and the direction of this force can be changed on the fly to work as inertial dampener.

http://youtu.be/CK7NZ9IDtTc?t=1m

Any ideas for how they work? We have to leave some explanation. If we're going with all of the interior panels of the ship acting as gravity generators/inertial negators at some point it has to be compact and not use much energy.
I was thinking of using sound waves to constantly push the objects in the ship towards the ground. The waves could be ultrasonic so the occupants wouldn't hear them. Ultrasonic waves penetrate tissue and other materials to some degree, so your insides wouldn't be floating while the outside of your body feels normal.
The technology already exists to levitate objects (counteract gravity vs. simulate gravity), so it could be adapted to push objects in a certain direction. (link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=669AcEBpdsY)
ConnorY71

Postby VladVP » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:28 pm

Here you have a demonstration of the most basic "gravity generator" in the history of science-fiction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8TABIFAN4o
VladVP

Postby ConnorY71 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:37 pm

Spinning spacestations, sure. I'm not sure about spinning spaceships, though. Trying to pilot one would be very hard and looking out any windows would make the occupants dizzy. Having separate parts of a spaceship like in 2001 might work, but then you have to deal with moving around your ship in zero gravity. There's also linear acceleration to simulate gravity. Uses up a lot of fuel, though.

(*whispering* 2010 was better than 2001!)
ConnorY71

Postby VladVP » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:56 pm

(*whispering* are you mentally retarded?)
VladVP

Postby ConnorY71 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:24 pm

2001 was too slow moving IMO. 2010 had more of a "space exploration" feel to it, which I liked. It wasn't as much of a thriller, however, but overall I prefer it to 2001.

To keep on topic: we could say the Podkletnov Effect is real (I could have sworn I saw this somewhere else on this forum). Gravity generators could consist of superconducting fluid pumped at high speeds through a magnetic field (this is total bullshit, but I believe Podkletnov was full of shit, so...).
ConnorY71

Postby VladVP » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:39 pm

ConnorY71 wrote:To keep on topic: we could say the Podkletnov Effect is real (I could have sworn I saw this somewhere else on this forum). Gravity generators could consist of superconducting fluid pumped at high speeds through a magnetic field (this is total bullshit, but I believe Podkletnov was full of shit, so...).

Woah, never heard of this one.

Most accounts describe Podkletnov's experiment as pretty legitimate, buuut... seems like that it isn't going to work anytime soon. Our game is not an exception.
VladVP

Postby ConnorY71 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:43 pm

VladVP wrote:Our game is not an exception.

Even if it's set in the future? We are going to allow warp drives, so why not this as well? I'd prefer not to use it but if the only alternative is making up something, I'd go for the lesser of two evils.
ConnorY71

Postby Zardoz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:57 pm

At some point we need to jump with our mind and be credulous about some tech stuff if we like that Trillek not being 2001 Slow Odissey in Space.

Podkletnov effect could be true in Trillek lore independently if is a real effect or not. Same apply to Biefeld-Brown device and the mysterious 1% thrust that nobody can explain.

The BB device is a asymmetric high voltage capacitor, that when gets a high voltage power, it generate thrust by 89% ionic wind (that not works in vacuum), 5% emission of charged particles and a 1% that no body know from were come. These mysterious 1% can be a measure error, a mistake or being a fake. But the fact is that the NASA have a patent of a B-B thrusters for sats.
Yep, I have a blog : http://zardoz.es
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Postby ConnorY71 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:13 pm

Zardoz wrote:2001 Slow Odissey in Space.

See, Vlad, see? :lol:

Both the Podkletnov Effect and Biefeld-Brown Effect are a bit iffy. The evidence for their operation isn't that reliable, I think. It kind of reminds me of the Hutchison Effect, which is probably a hoax as well. I think we'd be better off to include these in-game without reference to their discoverers if we include them in the game at all. That way if these effects are proven to be false then we don't have as much of a gaping hole in the background to the game.
ConnorY71

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas, Concept & Suggestions