ship gravity

Post here all of your ideas, concept and suggestions which aren't strictly related to the game's development and implementation!

Re: ship gravity

Postby VladVP » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:30 am

The Podkletnov effect is has been both theoretically and practically disproven.
Warp drives have been theoretically proven to be perfectly possible, given control over certain things in quantum mechanics, but have not yet been tested in practice for obvious reasons.
VladVP

Postby wrongu » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:21 pm

I'd like to see the gameplay element either proved or disproved; is there a way to make the first-person perspective controllable with gravity machines off? Maybe we take a note from flight simulators and how they manage pitch yaw and roll. Maybe it's easier from the keyboard. Point is, we need to test it.

What's possible in gameplay should affect the discussion of physics more than the other way around.
wrongu

Postby ConnorY71 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:52 pm

wrongu wrote:What's possible in gameplay should affect the discussion of physics more than the other way around.

I agree. Earlier in this discussion the physics for zero gravity was said to be achievable. Actually controlling the character is another thing. If the game doesn't play well, it doesn't earn its place as a good game.

In zero gravity it would be easiest if the player automatically latched on to the nearest surface once within a certain range (arm length, probably). As for launching yourself across a room, the jump button could be used. The only time a player wouldn't automatically attach to a surface would be if they are heading for a wall at an angle between, let's say 45 and 135 degrees, where instead they collide with the wall, take take damage and maybe rebound at a lower speed.
ConnorY71

Postby croxis » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:35 pm

Controlling the angle one launches at is troublesome. I can't think of a decent way to do it without a joystick or thumbstick. People are also generally able to catch and slow the impact with their arms and legs, so I wouldn't even consider damage unless it was a massive force.
croxis

Postby ConnorY71 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:12 am

Yeah, I guess damage wouldn't be a factor unless the force is unexpected, like if the ship collides with something. The angle doesn't have to be exact. I think using a mouse to aim where to go would work fine.
ConnorY71

Postby croxis » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:52 pm

This is true.

The other hard part would be animating the avatar so that it looks decent. That will take a lot of work as there is a lot of possible variation on what might be on the wall on top of the assorted orientations the character might be at.
croxis

Postby ConnorY71 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:07 pm

The difficulty of getting it right is partly why everyone wants to have gravity generators in ships. However, spacewalking requires zero gravity gameplay, so there's no avoiding working on it. At least it's not a priority.
ConnorY71

Postby ConnorY71 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:41 pm

I don't know if this is reliable and I don't understand most of it, but it's a cool concept for gravity generators (and possibly antigravity): http://arxiv.org/ftp/gr-qc/papers/0005/0005107.pdf. I think the experiment NASA is doing with the warp drive has something to do with this.
ConnorY71

Postby wrongu » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:40 pm

So apparently an antigravity machine was built in 2000.. Neat!

With respect to control and animations, the idea I've had in the back of my head is to throw some fancy real-time inverse kinematics at it (after rigging avatars). For example this one is one of my favorites. Then there are more realistic options like this one. This could in theory feed back into the physics system for determining forces and whatnot.

In layman's terms, it would mean that avatars automatically "reach" for nearby objects. Assuming this is actually possible in a real-time simulation (a big assumption), it would mean that controls boil down to aiming and jumping, and the rest of the "human" aspects of 0g movement that have been discussed would be taken care of by the engine.

Until we deem this necessary, I'm just considering it a reach goal (heh)
wrongu

Postby Vanshark » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:35 am

wrongu wrote:[*] when the ship accelerates, newton's first law holds and the player drifts backwards[/*]

I say we have things called inertial dampeners to prevent that.

at least, I think that's what those do. they say the term all the time in scifi, but they never say exactly what they do.
Vanshark

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas, Concept & Suggestions