Design Doc Template

Post here all of your ideas, concept and suggestions which aren't strictly related to the game's development and implementation!

Design Doc Template

Postby DarkSpartan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Okay, as we've all heard by now, projects of this sort start with a design document. In my own work, I have a template that I use for these things, and it occurs to me that you all might like a shot at it.

Therefore, I grant it to the community as a whole, and those who might be interested in assembling one for themselves.

http://www.renaigames.com/files/Trillek/DDTemplate.doc

Enjoy! I'm looking forward to seeing what you all come up with.
DarkSpartan
Lead Designer

Re: Design Doc Template

Postby mrout » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:26 pm

LaTeX please.
mrout

Postby Qworg » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:26 pm

While I love LaTeX with an undying passion, it is probably not the best option for a widely disemminated document for a possibly non-technical audience.

Markdown or a Wiki would probably be best.
Qworg

Postby mrout » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:09 am

LaTeX isn't for distribution, it's for writing a document. You use PDFLaTeX to produce the final PDF.

Do you have it in LaTeX DarkSpartan?
mrout

Postby ChemicalRascal » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:55 am

Stand down, mrout. The most important thing is the content. We can pretty it up later if and only if we want to later, and I can only really see us wanting to do that if it needs to be used as part of PR.
ChemicalRascal

Postby JTxt » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:33 am

Nice template DarkSpartan, thanks for sharing.
JTxt
Art Lead

Postby mrout » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:53 am

ChemicalRascal: Don't speak to me like that.

Documents aren't distributed in .doc formats. That's a proprietary format for a proprietary text editor that can't be opened and edited without expensive proprietary software. We are working on a free software project, and we've made it clear we want to encourage the use of free tools, hence why we're encouraging people to use Blender and such. LaTeX is powerful, free and multiplatform.

I can't see the template for the design doc. I assume it's probably fantastic, but I can't read it because I haven't got the money nor the inclination to buy Microsoft Office. It's not even a .docx file, which can be opened by LibreOffice and such. I haven't installed LibreOffice, because it's a resource hog and really clunky. At least it was last time I used it, which admittedly before the name change.
mrout

Postby ChemicalRascal » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:16 am

It's a .doc. You can open it with LibreOffice.
ChemicalRascal

Postby mrout » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:27 am

Did you even read my post?

I haven't installed LibreOffice, because it's a resource hog and really clunky.
mrout

Postby truth » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:03 pm

This project is doomed from the start with a prickly primadonna like mrout at the helm. No work will get done at all.

Is it possible we can replace this guy or his personality before beginning design discussions?

Development isn't even getting started and he's already gnawing at the core team and making proclamations about conduct.
truth

Next

Return to Ideas, Concept & Suggestions