Concerning the ships.

Post here all of your ideas, concept and suggestions which aren't strictly related to the game's development and implementation!

Concerning the ships.

Postby Dagg » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:26 pm

I thought up some rough concept as the day went on. I'd like some opinions.

Ships
The ships themselves will have 2 types, custom, and premade. Premade ships will be made by NPC corporations, and will not be very customizable, but reasonably priced. You may only change out SubSystem Modules, System Modules, hull composition, and weapons. There should be at least 10 in game. Custom ships will be built mostly by scratch, started with a basic cockpit module, and can be built with a few structural parts, such as girders, armor paneling, interior paneling, modules, and subsystem and weapon hardpoints. You can mine out asteroids and planets to gather resources to refine into parts and modules at abandoned stations, which you may set up a base as you survive in Trillek.

Utilities/Modules
These will include the DCPU-16, life support, refineries, cargo bays, weapons, and drives, which will be essential for building and customizing your ship. Life support modules are some of the largest modules, usually containing a small med bay, and a bed. refineries can reprocess minerals into parts. Cargo bays can hold extra ammunition and parts, food, and land vehicles.
Dagg

Re: Concerning the ships.

Postby tillchemn » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:02 pm

I would also add very good ships by NPC corporations, with a high price, and you should have the ability to fully customize them. At all, building your own/ customizing ships (editing shape of the ships, etc.) should be very expensive, so you have a diffucult choose, if you buy a ship, or build one of your blueprints.
tillchemn

Postby Dagg » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:04 am

The premade ships would perform just as well as custom ships, easier to get a hold of but a bit more expensive. Custom ships would actually just be cheaper, you make all/most the parts and components yourself, thought time-consuming. Where as premades would come with all the stock modules that you would need, that you can switch out with other modules you find or make.
Dagg

Postby Ravener96 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:35 pm

Why would custom stuff be cheaper?
If cars has tought me anything it is that stock is cheap and second hand stock is cheaper.
New built custom stuff should be extremely expensive. Things become cheaper as production increases.
Ravener96

Postby ChemicalRascal » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:38 am

Yeah, having stock things be more expensive would be a significant error. Designing ships and so forth should be a significant part of the game, and players should aim to have ships of their very own, but like all goals they really need to work for it. The non-triviality of custom ships would mean that players will spend more time designing them and so forth, and should result in the players valuing their ships more, which is obviously a very, very good thing.
ChemicalRascal

Postby Ravener96 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:24 am

How about, say, 3 times more expensive for one ship?
Building yourself would ofcource not have different cost custom vs stock, however the infrastructure to do so should be mid to late game.
Ravener96

Postby ChemicalRascal » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:21 am

It would be unwise to put numbers to it now, because things like that will be best defined through experimentation. I suppose that's a good ballpark estimate for the order of magnitude I have in mind, though.

There's an error in one of your assumptions, though - There are no plans at this time to do "ship vendor" style NPCs.
ChemicalRascal

Postby Tamer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:33 pm

if there are no ship vendors, how would you get your first ship? where would you get a replacement for an old ship?
Tamer

Postby Olenji » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:56 pm

You could start the game as just your character and you need to hitchhike on other people's vessels and help them out and you could get a cut of the money. A basic ship with a surplus cockpit, surplus engine, surplus life support, surplus mining laser/extractor, surplus cargo bay, and surplus chassis shouldn't cost that much.

Or you could start the game with, say, 500 credits. At your starting place, you could buy some basic parts to build a ship. Whallah.

For replacing an old ship, you could salvage the parts that you want to replace for a fraction of the components. Say a part of the ship is made up of 10 units of silicon, 15 units of copper, and 5 units of solder. When you salvage it, you could get back a guaranteed portion of Si, Cu, and solder, say 2.5, 3.75, and 1.25, respectively. Then you can also get a random amount of Si, Cu, and solder based on the salvager quality, higher amounts for better but more expensive salvager and a smaller amount for cheaper salvagers.

These are my half-baked ideas.
These are my half-baked ideas.
Olenji

Return to Ideas, Concept & Suggestions