IRC nicknames

IRC nicknames

Postby adam » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:10 pm

Below is a form to build an association table between your forum username and your IRC nickname.

Please fill out the form here

Results can be viewed here.
adam

Re: IRC nicknames

Postby Pseudonym » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:54 am

adam wrote:Below is a form to build an association table between your forum username and your IRC nickname.

Could we please also add Google (for groups), Github, Trello, and any other service we're using?
Pseudonym

Postby croxis » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:28 am

Could we also consolidate services *ducks rotten fruit*
croxis

Postby Pseudonym » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:32 am

croxis wrote:Could we also consolidate services *ducks rotten fruit*

It's a good point. Which services do you think could be cut, at least for now?
Pseudonym

Postby croxis » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:49 am

There is:

Forums,
wiki,
blog,
irc,
reddit,
trello,
github,
google groups(mailing list),
google drive/docs (iirc),
heck there is probably a twitter facebook and g+ too

The problem is many people think of their favorite tool/tech and then shoehorn it in. It should be the otherway around -- what forms of communication does the project need and THEN what tools (in use by the project or new) can be used to meet that need.

I'm also taking a view of "getting things done." We are not enterprise. We are not corporate. We are not trying to invent some new open source workflow method. We are to make a game and, so far, all of this.. stuff is getting in the way. We are long past the point of arm chair debates and already considered by most dead on arrival, if any arrival is to be had. I made multiple posts on this weeks ago. I know progress has been made but a lot of wheels are still spinning in "look at all this work on web tool stuff we are using!" Also how many bloody accounts on how many websites are needed for developers and very interested parties to keep up?

First need is the social media/public outreach/pr type of things. Honestly it isn't needed and kind of pretentious at this point. Wait until there is something playable and, in its own way, fun, before doing public outreach and social media. The developers who are (still) interested are already here. If we can't make it to that point (milestone 5ish?) then the project is dead anyways.

There is bug/todo/etc list that has now been added to the forum. That can be handled by the forum OR via the github issue and milestone system. There is a very good reason github calls it issue tracker and not just a bug tracker. It is also designed for the git workflow (pull requests).

Discussing ideas: Right now this is divided over the forums, trello, reddit, maybe the google group (which, honestly, I am not subscribed to). There is conversational discussion, postulating, and development, which irc does well. But engine design and game development is very nuanced and requires paragraphs to fully articulate and support ideas. Forums are great at that. Trello was started because the forums were "too chaotic," in reference to posts drifting into related but technically off topic subjects and cross referencing other posts. The Trello is now showing signs of the same issues. Forums do the same thing that trello does: categories, votes, comments. It is an issue of moderation, not tooling. The other issues is that while individual design ideas should be evaluated/prototyped/discussed on their own merits they also have to be discussed in the context of other designs and philosophies and requires cross referencing. If moderation or the forum tools isn't up to the task then we should look at improving the forum tools such as moving to Discourse or perhaps some other developer centric discussion software.

There is perhaps also a need to put more finalized documents. A wiki is suppose to be an open (or almost open) database. It is as one poster put it "git for words." So far when most people say "wiki" they really mean "content management system" that is edited by only a curated few. There is nothing wrong with a cms, but don't confuse the tool (mediawiki) with the function (is it a wiki or a cms). I don't see a wiki working well with game dev workflow. A forum topic can work well as long as the op (a dev) is active and keeping the top post up to date. phpBB also has several addons for cms type functionality in making pages. Github issues also work here too. Again, issue of moderation and not tooling.

So that is where I am at with our needs. Real time conversation, longer essay type discussions, programmer/art workflow, and maybe a place for formal final documents. Irc, forums, github, cms (or even still the forums).
croxis

Postby croxis » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:18 pm

This is exactly the arm chair issue I mentioned.
croxis

Postby adam » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:01 pm

I like your understanding of the root of the issue. Don't just bandaid the bottom of the boat, take the time and actually patch it.

The Trello has served its purpose, and well, but know it is mostly just commenting on what is already there. Now the design team needs to take those items and make more formal designs from it.

As far as the issue tracking, the forum was just a place to put tasks and to dos for those that are coming into the project fresh. It gives them a place to look instead of asking how can I help. Yes we could use the Github tool, but for now let's reduce the number of tools we use until we really need a full issue tracker that can be moderated. The tasks and to dos forum is moderated, and can be kept clean easier.
adam

Return to Announcements