Say hello to your new graphical overlord!

Re: Say hello to your new graphical overlord!

Postby danix111 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:34 am

radar37 wrote:Well, we have to figure out how to make the game before we build a prototype. Now that we decided on voxel, the programmers can start making a prototype.

Most of us have no idea what type of voxels will be in Trillek (they won't be cubes), so we can't start coding a renderer yet.
danix111

Postby IvanMolnar » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:27 am

danix111 wrote:
radar37 wrote:Well, we have to figure out how to make the game before we build a prototype. Now that we decided on voxel, the programmers can start making a prototype.

Most of us have no idea what type of voxels will be in Trillek (they won't be cubes), so we can't start coding a renderer yet.

Right, besides we will also need a coding guidelines, and an actuall plan of coding, how classes will be organised, etc... tons of stuff.
IvanMolnar

Postby Cordoro » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:40 pm

Voxels are cubes by definition. That is they regularly divide 3-space into regions of the same size. I think what people mean when they say voxels =/= cubes is that the voxel data may be interpolated for rendering. The other common misconception is that voxels must represent course geometry, when in reality, voxels can subdivide space at a very fine granularity if we so choose.

To the developers, if you haven't already looked into it, I highly recommend the use of Sparse Voxel Octrees as they will be much more space (and performance) efficient than systems used in some other games.

One solid benefit of using voxels is the ability to represent volumes instead of just surfaces. A downside to voxels is that most of today's computer modeling software assumes surfaces as the geometry being represented. Additionally, OpenGL and Direct3D only really render surfaces, so the voxels will have to be converted to surfaces at render time.
Cordoro

Postby tecywiz121 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:04 pm

Cordoro wrote:Voxels are cubes by definition. That is they regularly divide 3-space into regions of the same size. I think what people mean when they say voxels =/= cubes is that the voxel data may be interpolated for rendering. The other common misconception is that voxels must represent course geometry, when in reality, voxels can subdivide space at a very fine granularity if we so choose.

Voxels do not have to be cubes, see: http://people.cs.umass.edu/~elm/masters/masters.html
tecywiz121

Postby watacoso » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:23 pm

Hello there. Just to have a reference point ( let's assume that in this case the voxels will be rendered as cubes) regarding the "resolution" of the voxels, between Minecraft and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km0DpZUgvbg

where will trillek be placed?

I aknownoledge a resolution like the one on the video wouldn't be really doable ( sigh) , but as little as my opinion counts on this matter, i'd hate to see a resolution similar to minecraft ( we already have Starmade xD)
watacoso

Postby theking8924 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:44 pm

watacoso wrote:Hello there. Just to have a reference point ( let's assume that in this case the voxels will be rendered as cubes) regarding the "resolution" of the voxels, between Minecraft and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km0DpZUgvbg

where will trillek be placed?

I aknownoledge a resolution like the one on the video wouldn't be really doable ( sigh) , but as little as my opinion counts on this matter, i'd hate to see a resolution similar to minecraft ( we already have Starmade xD)

First off, really cool video. I hadn't seen a voxel demo even close to that fidelity in real time before. There are a lot of things up in the air at the moment and a lot of good discussion on this very topic, but it seems the general consensus from the outset was to NOT create minecraft in space. So while I can't say for sure what the final game will look like (nobody can at the moment) you can be reasonably assured it won't look like Starmade (hopefully ;) ).
theking8924

Postby watacoso » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:58 pm

Cool. In that case starting again to study c++ and help you guys will be worth the candle. Not sure how much i can stick to this initiative due to busy days and skinny experience on 3d game programming, but 0x10c game concept is something that i want to play at any cost. I'll see what i can do xD
watacoso

Postby Cazapciu » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:09 am

Cazapciu

Postby Kris » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:32 pm

Personally, I quite liked the style that 0x10c was going for. It was probably easier to work with and by not going for a photo realistic look made things look a lot better in the long run. From looking at other game similar to 0x10c, what they fail in is by going for a realistic look and just not having the graphics and the programming live up to it. Not saying it should look like Starmade or Minecraft, but maybe somewhere around 0x10c because that ultimately gave the game a well defined look that seemed to work even in it's early stages.
Kris

Postby Coolyo936 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Kris wrote:Personally, I quite liked the style that 0x10c was going for. It was probably easier to work with and by not going for a photo realistic look made things look a lot better in the long run. From looking at other game similar to 0x10c, what they fail in is by going for a realistic look and just not having the graphics and the programming live up to it. Not saying it should look like Starmade or Minecraft, but maybe somewhere around 0x10c because that ultimately gave the game a well defined look that seemed to work even in it's early stages.

I agree. It would be much easier and basic, instead of trying to make it look too over the top. It should be easy to make and visually appealing to all.
Coolyo936

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements