Say hello to your new graphical overlord!

Say hello to your new graphical overlord!

Postby ShaneDalton » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:51 am

Greetings! So, if you've been keeping your ear to the floor recently you've no doubt heard of the debate going on about how we are going to make up our terrain, our ships and our everything! This is something that affects programming and art, and as such we needed to make an informed decision that will allow us to accomplish our creative goals. So after talking with our lead developer Miles, we have decided to go for... drum roll please
Voxels! Yes, I know some people have doubts about these but rest assured we can achieve all that is possible with these guys, and it makes things easier in the long run! (Customization wise)

Thanks for reading,
Shane Dalton
Project Lead
Project Lead
ShaneDalton
Project Lead

Re: Say hello to your new graphical overlord!

Postby danix111 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:59 am

What kind of voxels?
danix111

Postby albatrossy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:56 pm

danix111 wrote:What kind of voxels?

Exactly my thoughts.

I apologize if it sounds harsh, but I wish we could have had some kind of prototype, blueprint, concept or SOMETHING to show why this decision was made instead of being conjecture. Was there any proof of concept? I mean, voxels are great but are the programmers have any experience with voxelization, with OpenGL in particular? Any more information beyond "we chose a buzzword" would be great. Since we can't show off the project IRL, it's important to present progress through screenshots or video format to show WHY we chose to go one route and not the other. It's not a procedure that needs to be taken at every turn but choosing to build a voxel world with voxel ships and voxel planets is a big step (and task) when you have nothing to show for it.
albatrossy

Postby Eximius » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:17 pm

Well, a big part of this was modularity. Voxels allow for "easy" destruction and construction, which are both core elements of the game. For that alone, voxels are a good choice.
Eximius

Postby radar37 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:57 pm

albatrossy wrote:

Exactly my thoughts.

I apologize if it sounds harsh, but I wish we could have had some kind of prototype, blueprint, concept or SOMETHING to show why this decision was made instead of being conjecture. Was there any proof of concept? I mean, voxels are great but are the programmers have any experience with voxelization, with OpenGL in particular? Any more information beyond "we chose a buzzword" would be great. Since we can't show off the project IRL, it's important to present progress through screenshots or video format to show WHY we chose to go one route and not the other. It's not a procedure that needs to be taken at every turn but choosing to build a voxel world with voxel ships and voxel planets is a big step (and task) when you have nothing to show for it.

Well, we have to figure out how to make the game before we build a prototype. Now that we decided on voxel, the programmers can start making a prototype.
radar37

Postby Aiko » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:42 pm

Starmade is a good voxel game, but 0x10c/trillek with voxels ? :?
Aiko

Postby Eximius » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:43 pm

Voxels =/= cubes.
Eximius

Postby Aiko » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:47 pm

Ok pardon my ignorance. :oops:
Aiko

Postby albatrossy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:12 pm

radar37 wrote:
albatrossy wrote:

Exactly my thoughts.

Well, we have to figure out how to make the game before we build a prototype. Now that we decided on voxel, the programmers can start making a prototype.

Not exactly. You usually want to prototype and deliberate what is fun (for both the player and the programmer) before spending a bunch of time on something that might not be fun. It wouldn't consist of a bunch of coding, just some basic scripting inside of something like Unity for the sake of deliberation. It just saves time to get an idea of what exactly you're gonna make and what kind of problems you're gonna run into instead of doing it ALL along the way and making even more refinements than you otherwise wouldn't have to. There's also a lot more to voxels than you might think, and what it CAN be. I'm not saying it was a bad decision, but we have to find out exactly what we are doing before we do it. Ambition is great but ambition doesn't make a game fun. Ambition doesn't make it easy to develop. Ambition is a burden and it only pays off with good execution. Hopefully you don't think I'm just bashing OP or anything -- just providing some advice is all.
albatrossy

Postby Meepbob » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:43 am

Awesome! I know of a lot of good looking voxel based space games, looking forwards to seeing how it turns out :)
Meepbob

Next

Return to Announcements