Say hello to your new graphical overlord!

Re: Say hello to your new graphical overlord!

Postby Aculem » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:38 pm

So far the art direction is taking a minimalist sensibility. This is a technically ambitious game, so we'd rather spend as many resources as possible on gameplay considerations than graphic fidelity. That said, the aesthetic direction should be highly focused on creating an appropriately atmospheric vibe and experience.
Aculem

Postby Vox_Atomic » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:22 am

Good choice. The ease of customization is probably the most crucial benefit of voxels.
Vox_Atomic

Postby Styxos » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:42 am

That the game should be voxel based is okay, but that doesn't mean you have to work with just blocks. Maybe you know examples like Blockscape, the better Minecraft with nice Texture Transition (if not google it). Or another example is the Voxel Farm Engine even a one man project, where the engine is voxelbased but with smoothness (This one man show is used by EverQuest next.) http://www.youtube.com/user/MCeperoG/videos .

What i want to say is that you can make a voxelbased game, but dont do it like Minecraft to limit the 3d models. So maybe we want some nice ship shapes and textures, you have to find a format for the engine, for example skyrim uses the niffiles. Its including the obj and dds files, so you have all information about diffuse,specular,normal and occlusion map in one file.
Styxos

Postby Styxos » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:48 am

@Aculem, yeah but the problem is that you have to define what the engine should be able to do, and if it should be with custom items and that stuff (LATER) you must create a system to bringt that stuff easily ingame. Bytheway i am not talking about high grapical ressources, i just want that there is a way to implement non engine stuff means, for example the world is procedural generated from the engine but you have still the oppurtunity to make single models and load em into the game.
Styxos

Postby Eximius » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:49 am

Styxos wrote:What i want to say is that you can make a voxelbased game, but dont do it like Minecraft to limit the 3d models. So maybe we want some nice ship shapes and textures, you have to find a format for the engine, for example skyrim uses the niffiles. Its including the obj and dds files, so you have all information about diffuse,specular,normal and occlusion map in one file.

If you had read around before posting, you'd know that we do not have a Minecraft-style game being planned.
Eximius

Postby Styxos » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:37 pm

No i didnt read all posts, my fault.
Styxos

Postby Coolyo936 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:29 pm

Styxos wrote:That the game should be voxel based is okay, but that doesn't mean you have to work with just blocks. Maybe you know examples like Blockscape, the better Minecraft with nice Texture Transition (if not google it).

I looked at the blockscape Idea. I know where you're coming from, but I don't think thats the direction we should be heading. I don't know, but it looks like you would need a good computer to run that thing. We should make it so most computers will be able to run the game with ease.
Coolyo936

Postby Aiko » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:20 am

I agree with you coolyo most computers should run easily the game. I think it's not the kind of game that should bet everything on the graphics side.
Aiko

Postby Styxos » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:18 am

It's not the thing that it should be a clone, and looks the same. It should be just an example, that voxelbased games dont need to look just like blocks. By the way even Minecraft can you push your computer to his limits.
Styxos

Postby trianglPixl » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:38 pm

I definitely hope that we mean real voxels, not boxes organized in a grid. Too many games claim to be voxel-based when it actually uses cube-shaped polygons.
trianglPixl

Previous

Return to Announcements