Weapon customization

Post and debate ideas and concepts

Weapon customization

Postby Tamer » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:36 am

so lots of people are talking about ship building and customization, and I was thinking, why stop there? I propose that we enable players to customize their own weapons. have you played Cube World an customized your weapons in there? this would be somewhat like that, except that a lazergun has a lot more complex inner workings than a sword or a bow. to get a lazergun to work you would have to rearrange the parts in a way that would actually work. the power coupling has to attach to the plasma heating thingamabob which has to be up the barrel from the electromagnetic propulsion stream etc. etc., and maybe the more parts with specific needs you put in there then the more stuff your gun does and such. attach a grapple to your gun and you can swing around planets or grapple to other ships, or attach a scope above your barrel to be able to zoom in on targets for more precise shots, etc.

anyway, that's the idea. do you have anything to add? criticisms, anyone?
Tamer

Re: Weapon customization

Postby Chance » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:34 pm

I've never heard of cube world before but I think I get the idea it sounds like Ratchet and Clank Future: Crack in Time. you can buy the original weapons then get upgrades and modifiers so what originally shot a pulse of plasma now shoots a stream of plasma etc.

what i typed above is just my understanding of it and I and I agree I also think that we should be able to choose the color of the projectiles in game. It would help identify who shot what and so forth.
Chess is a sport. A violent sport. - Marcel Duchamp.
Chance

Postby Nerf » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:53 am

And they need to make sure there are multiple paths! I don't want it to turn into "Oh this gun is the best in the game nothing else can take it on"
Nerf

Postby Tamer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:45 pm

I agree; the point of this is to let people experiment with what sort of weapon works for them best.
Tamer

Postby Kaluce » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:29 pm

I really like this. A plasma thrower could be upgraded into a flamethrower, doing a lot of close range damage, but having a range of only a couple of meters, or change it so that the stream is more laser like, or the output is higher, or the bolt flies faster, etc. It would make it so that you'd want to hunt for parts and risk going into wrecked ships for the possible payout.
Kaluce

Postby Chance » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:34 pm

makes for a large and divers selection of weapons that could possibly be designed
Chance

Postby Olenji » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:21 pm

One game that I've played that allows for great weapon customization is Blacklight: Retribution. You can choose the receiver, barrel, muzzle, scope, stock, and magazine. There are at least a dozen options for each part. The parts are also fairly balanced. You can make a low-spread and recoil AR at the cost of damage or a high-damage AR at the cost of recoil and accuracy. We can also enhance this by allowing the addition of, say, chips/mutators that change a specific part of the gun. And from my time playing BLR, everyone has a different gun.

I've also heard a lot about the game Loadout, which sounded pretty interesting with its weapon customization. I didn't actually play this game but I'm sure that somebody could tell you about it.
These are my half-baked ideas.
Olenji

Postby Chance » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:07 am

It sounds perfect
Chance

Return to Design