Unit system - Data storage for the adventurous gamer

Post and debate ideas and concepts

Unit system - Data storage for the adventurous gamer

Postby Overkill » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:36 pm

The unit system is a standard i've been working on that allows potentially infinite systems to be defined and stored in relatively little space.
The idea is basically that everything is a system of some kind, with a "meta.txt" in the root. That meta defines the locations of everything, and then when you're actually close enough to modify anything, it generates "HipVoxels" or units, around where you're standing so that you can modify it. Otherwise it's all heightmaps and models. This allows you to theoretically never have to generate any units if you're just passing through, but still allows you to land seamlessly on planets and mine them completely should you choose to do so. Because the system is self-cleaning, it also allows you to have as many players as your software can handle with relatively little space while still being 100% customizeable and destructible.

I put forth that this should be the data storage system for Trillek. Suggestions, criticism, and any other non-flame forms of input are welcome.

- MrOverkill :)
Overkill

Re: Unit system - Data storage for the adventurous gamer

Postby Longor1996 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:40 pm

You do know that the way the data of the world of Trillek is stored depends fully on whereever it is limited to a Solarsystem, a Galaxy, or the entire Universe?
As far as I know the latest plan was to make use of only a single Solarsystem per Server-instance, and make multiple servers able to connect to each other.
Is it? Correct me if I am wrong! (I am visiting the forums not very often)

- Longor1996
#define Longor1996 "Programmer that loves to write small tools for quick usage. He writes code mainly in Java, but understands C++ and similar languages as well. Is also reading science articles/books/papers/news since he is 5 years old".
Longor1996

Postby Overkill » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:22 am

I believe that was because of the problem that they didn't know how to reasonably store that much data AND their coordinate system was global coordinates. The idea is that this makes everything local coordinates so operator overflow for positions is no longer an issue. This system just doesn't generate more than it absolutely needs to so It could work for theoretically infinite space.

- MrOverkill
Overkill

Postby Longor1996 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Did you know that there is a "Game" that already has an infinite play-space?
Its called 'Space-Engine', and most people here should already know about it.

Space-Engine has the fun ability to allow you to go every in the entire universe, all the way to its edge. From the floor on Earth, to a distant Galaxy that is being eaten by a gigantic Block-Hole, or onto the surface of an asteroid.

And the coolest thing: Everything that IS changeable, is persistent!
So you can just go and change the data of a Planet or Star, and when you visit the place the next time, its like you never left it. So making a 'Infinite' play-space is in all ways possible and no un-solveable problem.

I tried it myself already, had to give up on the dynamic Skybox(/Spacebox) rendering, it just didn't work no matter what I try. I should go and try it out again! Although right now I am working on my DCPU again, making it more real, so that I can (maybe) call it a real CPU-emulation one day.

A infinite Universal Play-Space is done by...
- Making a Frame-Of-Reference Rendering, Physics and Logic-System. (Sadly not possible with JBullet)
- A very good procedural generation system, that can generate everything in the universe (or galaxy).
- Dynamic Loading of the Objects in the universe, whereever you are, it will load correctly. ('Infinite Expandable SceneGraph System')
- A very good and fast compression of persistent game-data.
- No pre-Generated or pre-Made objects.

(I think I forgot some things in the list)

A funny thing is, the most hardest part of the entire thing is, to store the planets.
Store a Galaxy with its stars? No problem! Thats just 500 Billion Stars (Position, Temparature, Mass, nothing more needed!).

Also a hard thing to do is to render all the stuff.
But thats not impossible either.

Have a nice day!

- Longor1996
#define Longor1996 "Programmer that loves to write small tools for quick usage. He writes code mainly in Java, but understands C++ and similar languages as well. Is also reading science articles/books/papers/news since he is 5 years old".
Longor1996

Postby Krarl » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:43 pm

I don't think the main reason for a single solar system is technical, but that it doesn't spread out players all over the galaxy. I'm of the opinion that a single, detailed system us a lot nicer than a million badly generated ones. But of course it may not be like that at all :)
Krarl

Postby croxis » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:45 pm

There are technical perks though -- mostly not having to implement multiple coordinate systems. Most the benefits are gameplay related.
croxis

Postby Krarl » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:07 pm

Yes, of course, everything gets simpler with just one coordinate system.
Krarl

Return to Design