Ship Design in Trillek

Post and debate ideas and concepts

Ship Design in Trillek

Postby Overkill » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:55 pm

So. If you've read SU9 you're aware that i'm creating an external ship editor for you to use. It occurred to me that maybe it'd be a better idea if I implemented it a little closer to how it'll look in the actual game. Let me explain what I mean by this.
In the real game, you won't be doing these things that you can do in the ShipEditor:

1. Fly around with no concern for gravity or momentum
2. Be in open space without a suit and a helmet
3. Use a cursor controlled with the arrow keys for placing the parts
4. view it dynamically in 3D as you create it
5. Have to worry about saving it as a file. It should automatically go to your player's ship.json or whatever it's called.

So I was wondering. Should I attempt to re-create what It should be like to use the editor in-game for my ShipEditor, or should I keep with the current style?
Overkill

Re: Ship Design in Trillek

Postby ConnorY71 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:14 pm

Have both maybe? If the current editor is not like the in-game one, then there's no extra work to be done to have both. Just assign a button on the keyboard or something to toggle between the two modes in the external editor.
ConnorY71

Postby wrongu » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:39 am

I didn't get the sense that we really knew much about how the ship editor will look in-game. I saw in your chat with Vlad that you want to fly parts in and weld them. I think that is a great idea for huge ships but too much work for smaller ships, so multiple editors / editing modes may be a thing in the game. Is your code structured like MVC so you can swap out the V/C without changing the Model. We're not even sure if all editors will be first-person...

The nice thing about all the indecision is that it promotes abstractions in code :)
wrongu

Postby Overkill » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:27 pm

Ok, I've made my descision. There's a 2D program written with the slick2D library you use for making the ship, and a 3D viewer you use to see what your ship looks like. So in a sense, you "Write" and "Compile" your ship to JSON and then the viewer shows you the results.
Overkill

Postby wrongu » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:08 pm

How do you handle multiple floors?
wrongu

Postby Overkill » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:00 pm

It allows you to change your local x, z position with WASD, your global x, z position with arrow keys, and your Y position with Space and Shift.
Overkill

Return to Design