Teaching the Player to Code

Post and debate ideas and concepts

Teaching the Player to Code

Postby ShaneDalton » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:11 pm

So, I was looking for through the "how the first 10 minutes play" thread, and I thought to myself, how will we teach the cpu and it's many functions? Some will be easy (the codex, basic commands) but the complex code systems? And the outside languages themselves?
Perhaps we have links linking to common tutorials about Assembly/C++/Lua/whatever?
Project Lead
ShaneDalton
Project Lead

Re: Teaching the Player to Code

Postby danix111 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:19 pm

I've been thinking of this as an opt-in on-screen tutorial, accessible from the main menu. The player would be gradually introduced into the instructions and allowed to play with them in assembly at the same time.
danix111

Postby clonk2u » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:16 pm

Also, I find myself, being able to view working things help my understanding of them, so maybe a bunch of starter programs with notes to explain how they work or something?
clonk2u

Postby croxis » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:52 pm

I think this is where a "high" language comes into play. At a lua/python/etc level the language is almost command like (gun1.fire() for example). Someone who is new to programming should start at that level when they, as someone else put it, think a register is where you go to find gifts for someone's wedding.
croxis

Postby S0lll0s » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:03 pm

croxis wrote:I think this is where a "high" language comes into play. At a lua/python/etc level the language is almost command like (gun1.fire() for example). Someone who is new to programming should start at that level when they, as someone else put it, think a register is where you go to find gifts for someone's wedding.

I am currently teaching someone programming bottom-up starting with (DCPU-)assembly. It isn't harder to use than python, it's just harder to do the same stuff.
Of course teaching DCPU might take a while longer, but no tutorial can teach someone to program in less than a week. Everything below that mark is just someone thinking he knows what he's doing jamming around on his keyboard.
S0lll0s

Postby master565 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:54 pm

I feel like there should be a completely separate, optional program that can teach the people who want to learn how to code. It may be slow and frustrating trying to teach them inside the game environment when it is easier to manage files and the UI in an external program.

Sample programs are always a great way of learning, so including some would be a great idea.
master565

Postby S0lll0s » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:43 am

master565 wrote:I feel like there should be a completely separate, optional program that can teach the people who want to learn how to code. It may be slow and frustrating trying to teach them inside the game environment when it is easier to manage files and the UI in an external program.

Sample programs are always a great way of learning, so including some would be a great idea.

Yeah, a standalone Trillek-DCPU / CPU Emulator would be great, maybe with DCPU Reference etc
S0lll0s

Postby master565 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:07 pm

Exactly, Its own IDE that makes developing easier. Another thing to which should definitely be in the game is being able to use DCPU program files written in other programs (meaning, you can write programs out of game and import them). This makes it easier to write your own programs and to use others.
master565

Return to Design