The Creatures Of Trillek

Post and debate ideas and concepts

The Creatures Of Trillek

Postby ShaneDalton » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:01 pm

So, I've been thinking recently about what sort of denizens the universe of trillek has and at the moment I have no REAL thoughts about races more monsters and scary things. These are some of my ideas for creatures so far.
1. EVIL SPACE BUGS

These are the destroyers of the old universe, they breed extremely fast and have a three layer shell that makes them hard as hell to kill. After the destruction of Earth, they can only be found around that area.

2. THE DARKNESS ITSELF
On the outer rims of the universe a weird phenomenon has been spreading about clouds of dark gas that have been appearing on ships and sucking the life force out of the crew. Appears as just a cloud of gas, when the player looks directly at it they hear a loud scream noise as their life force is drained.

3. TOTALLY NOT RIPPED OFF FIREFLY RAIDERS (name tba)
A bunch of savage raiders on the outer rims but slowly are spreading inwards, they rape, pillage, skin, eat or whatever savages do in the future.

4. DEADLY SPACE PARASITES

These little bastards find there way from cargo bays in random dingy little stations that once on the ship infect the crew members with sickly stomach bugs and eventually death! They survive because of reasons I have not quite yet established. (the effects on the player could be an interesting idea)

Feel free to add your own! Obviously names are unfinal at the moment! And artists feel free to make concept art!
Project Lead
ShaneDalton
Project Lead

Re: The Creatures Of Trillek

Postby clonk2u » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:28 pm

Some Thoughts:

If they eventually movement of the game is outward colonization, you have to make improving npc's lives lives really difficult, or have an endless wave of attacks

1. Maybe give the Bugs ships with fire-and-forget warp functions, so, they can warp extremely long distances once before the warp fails, kinda of like a solid fuel booster.This will server to get the ships in a close enough range to affect players and colonies, yet make it nigh impossible to attack the main area of these bugs and come back, dead or alive.
EDIT
maybe have the warp drives behave like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmRV8wNJ ... ture=share
That rips you out of warp when the drive fails, so you warp a random distance depending on how long the drive holds. This makes the drives unrecoverable

2.Maybe, make the darkness natural phenomenon that just happen to be bad for a ship, such a black hole. Maybe some sort of nebula with a hard to see, hard to locate, gas that does not play well with technology. This would also allow for it to have a few clouds in a relative close area, and then have huge stretches with no clouds.

3.Cool, maybe they could have some interaction with the space bugs, possibly weaponizing them? The pirates would probably have to use small ships with big guns to make then not total pushovers, but with limited scavenging potential.

4. I'm thinking some cross between barnacles and water-bears for the parasites?
clonk2u

Postby croxis » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:46 pm

There was a 10 page thread with everyone agreeing that the main, primary meta focus of the game is on the player and their relationship with their ship. Everything should be designed to help progress that. I think living aliens are outside the scope of the game. As a species we do a really good job making clans/countries and attacking each other over things (resources, ideas), so we don't need aliens to create combat situations for a player. I also think space travel itself and encountering other ships with be a harrowing enough experience on its own. There is no need for some contrived story or mechanics.
croxis

Postby Zardoz » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:23 pm

The aliens, could work as the mobs of minecraft.

The darkness thing, remember a lot to the spectres of Sword of Stars... It eat alive the crew of ships, even can eat all people of a small planet.
Yep, I have a blog : http://zardoz.es
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Postby djetty » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:56 pm

As for the terrifying, grotesque looking insectoid space critters, maybe they function similarly to viruses, in that they are normally dormant and have no constant metabolism, but they feed off of radiation from strong light - and also the energy of unfortunate ships that cross their path. They could raid ships in swarms, attaching themselves to any external outlets to the ship's engine, sapping it of energy, unless you perforate them with lasers.

I don't think this is necessarily a "main enemy" in the game, just another space hazard to make the vast, boring space a little more interesting. I think they'd normally occur in asteroid belts and other clusters of space junk.
djetty

Postby Eximius » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:58 am

croxis wrote:There was a 10 page thread with everyone agreeing that the main, primary meta focus of the game is on the player and their relationship with their ship. Everything should be designed to help progress that. I think living aliens are outside the scope of the game. As a species we do a really good job making clans/countries and attacking each other over things (resources, ideas), so we don't need aliens to create combat situations for a player. I also think space travel itself and encountering other ships with be a harrowing enough experience on its own. There is no need for some contrived story or mechanics.

I think they could certainly enhance gameplay at some point. However, I agree that this is by no means necessary. To that end, I would also encourage things of this nature to take place in the form of a mod.

I think we could see a really great mod with some really intelligent enemy faction AI, but we should leave that to someone else. We have enough to deal with.
Eximius

Postby kibbles » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:23 pm

I agree, secondary creatures should be an afterthought while we focus on balancing pvp interaction.
kibbles

Postby Umbra » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:47 pm

It would be cool if players could choose his avatar appearance between some alien species with unique characteristics (We aren't following the original argument of 0x10c, no??).
Umbra

Return to Design