The Software Codex

Post and debate ideas and concepts

The Software Codex

Postby ShaneDalton » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:17 am

So, once again this comes from inspiration from games I've been playing/played, now this piece of inspiration comes from a rather (in my opinion) terrible game. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, the bane of a great series up until now. But this doesn't come from the actual game itself (Put down your pitchfork Dark), instead it comes from the Steam Workshop itself. The whole idea of downloading software and it just installing is easy and well can be taken advantage of... :twisted: . So my idea was that once the player has a pretty good os with some networking capabilities he can connect to the "codex server" (we're talking about BBS here), and once he's connected he's given access to a forum where people post their code and software packages (and of course their own operating systems). Now! A cool gameplay element is to well let players upload viruses, that can destroy entire ships and piss off the player! Yay! Emergent gameplay right there! So, any thoughts?

Note, this was written reallly late and I'm very tired so I thought to just write a possible feature.
Project Lead
ShaneDalton
Project Lead

Re: The Software Codex

Postby Zardoz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:02 pm

Add moderators that test the software and marks it as secure ?
Yep, I have a blog : http://zardoz.es
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Postby clonk2u » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:12 pm

Well, for me, I would not want to download a virus, so some sort of arbitrary rating/warning system on the files would be a must, also, if I have set up my thrusters in a unique way, would the program be able to still read them correctly, or would I overhaul my ship to the coders spec? Also, for the viruses, maybe give them a section, and call them something fancy like "data weapons". Another idea would be to charge to in-game currency, this would serve to give coders a reason to upload their good programs, and would also serve as balance, so if player A spends 100 hours mining, and Player B spends 100 hours coding, neither player will have a large advantage over each other, ship-wise. Also, there will probably become "staple" programs for the non-coders, which would lead to programs designed to defeat these programs that are really common.
clonk2u

Postby croxis » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:31 pm

I think this should operate at the server level (be it the local server for sp or mp server) as some servers might want to limit the kinds of programs available. Some servers might also want to make an in game economy out of the software instead of just a bbs any player can access.
croxis

Postby clonk2u » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:06 pm

While, at the server level regulating what you can get, I think there should also be a main hub of programs, so if you play on a lan server and no-body is good at coding you can still have access to programs.
clonk2u

Postby croxis » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:08 pm

Right. So in that case the server is just a proxy for the main hub.

Computercraft has a program where the player types in a pastbin or gist id and the mod will download the code from that pastebin/gist onto the user's in game computer. It is another option on how to do things.
croxis

Postby ShaneDalton » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:29 pm

Yeah, that was a thought I forgot to include into the original post. Moderation should still be there and the "internet" would also have forums and other stuff as well.
Project Lead
ShaneDalton
Project Lead

Postby radar37 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:46 pm

So like an open, global marketplace, neat. Perhaps when a player downloads a program, it shows up in-game as a read-only floppy disc so they can install the software anywhere. I think that if we implemented some kind of software rating system, the threat of viruses would be minimized.
radar37

Postby croxis » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:20 pm

I don't know how the virtual cpu system works, but the best way would be to have the code open source* on the master codex** and then it is download and compiled on the server.

* If a server is running a private codex then they can choose if the code is open or not
** Be interesting if the out of game/real internet codex is like github with version control, forks, etc. I've seen open source github like hosting systems, although writing our own wouldn't be difficult either. The other issue is how much development can be done in game vs out of game as well. I know past discussions pushed for no in game asm editing.
croxis

Postby Pseudonym » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:31 am

clonk2u wrote:Well, for me, I would not want to download a virus, [...]

I don't either. Having said that, I always assumed that DCPU viruses are inevitably going to be part of the game. As long as they only compromise the DCPU and not the client or server, that seems fair game to me.
Pseudonym

Next

Return to Design