Planet construction: 2d heightmap sphere (pit mining)

Post and debate ideas and concepts

Re: Planet construction: 2d heightmap sphere (pit mining)

Postby Andrew » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:23 am

Well we don't really need to go as far as giving every NPCS an elder scrolls-ish daily schedule. I was thinking a more Rockstar-ish approach to NPCs.
IRC: |Andy|
Andrew

Postby mrout » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:39 am

Well you did say you wanted to do them properly.
mrout

Postby SunShiranui » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:14 am

I don't think we should put cities in - procedurally generated or not - just allow the players to build them.
SunShiranui

Postby amberkilloran » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:09 am

SunShiranui wrote:I don't think we should put cities in - procedurally generated or not - just allow the players to build them.

I agree quite strongly that cities should be built by players and inhabited by players, however I would agree with the point that it might seem strange to have planets with no cities while you also have space stations. This is a question that could be addressed within the writing, namely: "What is the state of the universe right now?", explicitly "What has happened to humanity to get us (players) here?". What first pops into my mind is the idea that humanity has taken to the stars in the most extreme form, with colony ships dispatched to different sectors of the Milky Way and then left to fend and grow for themselves.

I have a feeling we've derailed this thread slightly...
amberkilloran

Postby JTxt » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:31 pm

amberkilloran wrote:I have a feeling we've derailed this thread slightly...

Thanks. The NPC city discussion is kind of related, but I think it needs it's own topic, so I made one.
If we keep topics on topic, or redirect less-on-topic ideas to a new thread, it will be easier to find things later, and to figure out what the conciseness of an idea is.
(Notice I did that with this thread, not to throw off the voxel discussion.)

Please continue the Pro Procedural NPC and city discussion over there.

---------------

So continuing with Planet construction: 2d heightmap sphere (pit mining) here, feedback on some of this would be nice:

What do you you all think of mineral layers below to be discovered as you dig/blow up/use instruments to sense/extract layers below?
and possible simulation of layers?
(and perhaps even the crazier idea of having "air" layers for tunnels/underground rooms..., perhaps it's easier to do structure tests and collapsing with a layered heightmap structure?)

Sometimes what I write is confusing/disjointed--- is there something I should clarify, draw pictures of?
(I'd really like to prototype it. A few years ago I made a 2d scorched earth type terrain with a single surface on top, with Scratch. That's kind of related.. I can dooo iiit.)
JTxt
Art Lead

Postby Stinger » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:48 pm

You're all forgetting one very important thing. Detail. For an even moderately detailed world (And i'm talking "raming ralph" here) your heightmap would be just as big (in file size) as my chunks. And the chunks support underground areas, structures, and have custom datatypes for physics objects by default. Plus, my system i'm working on basically saves the generator settings necessary to create that planet, and saves only the modified chunks, and compresses those as much as possible whenever you leave that solar system and enter a new one. Long story short, I'm very confident my system will be relatively lightweight, while still providing massive, completely editable, explorable worlds. I'm writing the prototype now, and when it works, i'll push it to my fork of the trillek-server-core for all to experiment with
Stinger

Postby JTxt » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:36 pm

Hi Stinger, Could you please start a new thread and describe how your system will work and/or post it when you're done with the prototype?
It sounds really interesting. Thanks!

(I'm really hoping we can keep threads on topic. It's so easy for good ideas to be lost in the wrong topics.)

----
Please read/comment on my post above.
Or at least on how to have have mineral layers hidden below.

I'm working on a prototype, but mostly just sketches of recursive triangles, and cross-sections of land at different scenarios...
JTxt
Art Lead

Postby mrout » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:02 am

Stinger wrote:You're all forgetting one very important thing. Detail. For an even moderately detailed world (And i'm talking "raming ralph" here) your heightmap would be just as big (in file size) as my chunks. And the chunks support underground areas, structures, and have custom datatypes for physics objects by default. Plus, my system i'm working on basically saves the generator settings necessary to create that planet, and saves only the modified chunks, and compresses those as much as possible whenever you leave that solar system and enter a new one. Long story short, I'm very confident my system will be relatively lightweight, while still providing massive, completely editable, explorable worlds. I'm writing the prototype now, and when it works, i'll push it to my fork of the trillek-server-core for all to experiment with

I seriously doubt that it's possible for "your chunks" to be more space-efficient than a heightmap.
mrout

Postby JTxt » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:23 pm

I ran into this last night:
https://github.com/vraid/earthgen-old

It's interesting for at least 2 reasons:
  • Full planet weather simulation. (Which would be interesting to try.)
  • "The geometry consists of pentagonal and hexagonal tiles based on a subdivided icosahedron"
    (But I don't quite don't see how it works yet. I also get triangles when I try this.)
    (edit: It's mostly hexagons. That may be handy for cleaner subdivisions for high LOD when close.
Last edited by JTxt on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JTxt
Art Lead

Postby amberkilloran » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:38 pm

@Jtxt: Is there any support for multiple layers? ie. Sublevels, caves, hills, mountains, open canyons. Is this system usable within smaller applications (asteroids etc)?

Not at all my forte, just some things that come to mind.
amberkilloran

PreviousNext

Return to Design